Extensively trained at some of the most prestigious dental institutions in the nation, Dr. Donian Shen strives to elevate dentistry beyond the typical experience. She began her career at the University of California, Berkeley, where she received her undergraduate degree in biochemistry. She then obtained her Doctorate of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree from the University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry. Following graduation, Dr. Shen completed her residency at the VA Palo Alto Hospital. After practicing dentistry at the Valley Medical Center for some time, she decided to open her own office to provide customized general, implant, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry treatment with the comfort of sedation to patients of all ages.
Dedicated to continuing education, Dr. Shen has undertaken several advanced post-graduate courses in a variety of dental fields, including IV sedation at the University of Southern California and oral conscious sedation at the DOCS Institute. She is particularly proud of her training in the leading dental implant techniques, which she completed at the world-renowned Carl Misch Institute under the mentorship of Dr. Misch. Furthermore, she has extensive experience with full mouth reconstruction, block bone grafting, and soft tissue grafts.
Dr. Shen’s skill set is one half of the equation, and her devotion to patient care is the other half. She emphasizes comfort and quality in every procedure, endeavoring to achieve optimal results in a welcoming, compassionate environment. Her attention to detail and her attentive approach are designed to give individuals an unparalleled dental experience.
Dr. Shen begins each consultation with a thorough examination of your areas of concern. She then discusses the diagnosis with you and reviews the available options. Together, you and Dr. Shen will develop a customized treatment plan that best addresses your needs and goals.
How to Choose a Good Implant Dentist
If you have missing teeth, dental implants are considered the “gold standard” replacement option. To maximize the outcome, however, it is best to choose an extensively trained and skilled implantologist to perform the procedure. Becoming truly proficient in dental implant placement can take decades, as this is a complex procedure that requires additional training that goes well beyond the standard curriculum at dental school. Some of the qualities you should look for in a good implant dentist include:
- Licensed as a dentist
- Training specific to implant dentistry
- Considerable experience placing implants (we recommend reviewing before-and-after photos of dental implant cases)
- Offers a wide range of treatments using the latest techniques and technology
- Is a member of a reputable dental implant organization
Dr. Shen demonstrates all these qualities and more. She trained at the Carl Misch International Implant Institute and is a Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists (FICOI). Additionally, she remains at the forefront of her field by participating in continuing education courses each year. Dr. Shen is committed to delivering exceptional care no matter what type of dental concerns you have. In the event you have missing teeth, her skill as an implantologist and as a cosmetic dentist set her apart from the competition.
What Is a Cosmetic and Implant Dentist?
A cosmetic dentist is a dentist that is extensively trained in cosmetic procedures and considers the aesthetic impact of each treatment. Leading cosmetic dentists like Dr. Shen balance the desire for a more beautiful smile with an emphasis on preserving and enhancing the health of the entire mouth. A cosmetic dentist should have the same high-quality credentials as a general dentist, including completing four years of dental school, as well as advanced education in performing the latest cosmetic techniques effectively and safely.
How to Choose the Best Cosmetic and Implant Dentist for You
Choosing a cosmetic dentist that understands your goals and can deliver a customized treatment plan is the most important part of improving your smile. The ideal cosmetic dentist will be extensively trained, highly experienced, and, most essential of all, compassionate. You want to feel comfortable about your procedure and confident in the outcome. Dr. Shen has been performing a comprehensive array of cosmetic treatments for years, and she remains at the forefront of the field by regularly completing continuing education courses. Her dedication to patient care and results sets her apart from the competition. Enhancing the beauty of your teeth and gums should never mean sacrificing your oral health, and Dr. Shen makes every effort to protect and even improve the state of your mouth.
Questions to Ask Your Cosmetic and Implant Dentist
The initial consultation is an excellent opportunity to get to know a potential cosmetic dentist better. We recommend asking some or all of the following questions to help determine if a dentist is right for you:
- Are you a licensed dentist?
- What kind of training in cosmetic procedures have you completed?
- Are you a member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry?
- What types of technology do you use to perform treatments?
- Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at?
- How often do you perform the procedure I’m interested in?
- Do you believe in a conservative approach to treatment, one that preserves existing healthy structure as much as possible?
- If I’m unhappy with the result, what are my options?
- UC Berkeley, BA in Biochemistry
- UCSF, Research Associate of Ophthalmology Department
- UCLA, School of Dentistry, DDS
- Member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD)
- Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists (FICOI)
- Surgical Fellow of the Misch International Implant Institute
- Member of the American Dental Association (ADA)
- Member of the California Dental Association (CDA)
- VA Palo Alto Hospital, General Residency
- DOCS: Oral Conscious Sedation
- USC: IV Sedation
- UCLA: Aesthetic Continuum
- Carl Misch Institute: Dental Implants, Bone Grafting, Soft Tissue Grafting
If you have additional questions about Dr. Shen and her experience, or if you would like to schedule a $60 non-refundable consultation, please contact us today.*
*This fee can be applied to a treatment if the patient goes through the treatment. However, if no treatment is performed, then the fee is non-refundable.