Are you in excruciating pain? Call 650-938-1868 for a same-day appointment.
When you experience a dental emergency, you want help no matter the time or place. Dr. Donian Shen, our skilled cosmetic dentist, is available if sudden pain, damage, and/or another complication occurs. We offer speedy treatment that can alleviate a variety of issues as quickly as possible. In addition to providing same day appointments, we can often suggest options over the phone that can help to ease symptoms immediately.
Some concerns can be addressed from home. In other cases, you may be able to reduce pain or limit damage with a few simple steps before seeking professional assistance. Our friendly and knowledgeable team has outlined some of the initial steps you can take for the following common issues:
- Chipped tooth: Try rinsing your mouth with warm water. You can also reduce swelling with cold compresses. A chipped tooth can generally be treated with a white filling or, in more severe cases, a root canal with a crown.
- Bitten tongue or lip: Gently clean the cut and the surrounding area, and then use cold compresses to reduce any swelling. If bleeding or swelling persists, visit the nearest hospital immediately to have the wound looked at and possibly sutured.
- Cracked/fractured tooth: A cracked tooth can sometimes feel like little more than a toothache, and other times this issue can be quite painful. Dr. Shen’s treatment will depend on the degree of cracking, and may include using a sandpaper disc or performing a composite restoration, bonding, root canal, or extraction.
- Toothache: Try flossing gently to remove any food or debris that could be causing the discomfort. An over-the-counter painkiller can help ease soreness, and an ice pack may also provide some relief.
- Tooth knocked out: Rinse the affected area, but be careful not to remove any tissue fragments attached to the tooth. If possible, insert the tooth back into the socket. If not, place the tooth in a glass of cold milk or wrap it in a clean cloth.
- Lost filling: If a filling falls out, you can place a piece of softened, sugarless chewing gum into the hole that contained the filling. Contact us as soon as possible to have Dr. Shen replace the filling.
For more information about emergency treatment, please contact our office. Our friendly and knowledgeable team can help answer questions or schedule your appointment with Dr. Shen.